COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Psychosocial Animator
- COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin.
- COOPI’s aim is to support the most basic and pressing needs of communities affected by the violence. Despite the challenges presented by the security situation and the remoteness of the area, COOPI is providing a multi-sectoral emergency response to the victims of Boko Haram focused on food security, nutrition, protection and education.
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Psychosocial Animator will be responsible for the implementation of the education and PSS activities in the urban area of Maiduguri.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, he/she:
- Identify capacity building needs and gaps in CP and PSS support within the IDPs camps.
- Implement PSS activities in the IDPs camps, primary schools, Child Friendly Spaces, Youth Clubs
- Carry out awareness sessions on child rights in the IDPs camps, primary schools, Child Friendly Spaces, Youth Clubs
- Facilitate peer and groups support
- Conduct life skills training
- Conduct parent-child communication
- Put in place non-formal education activities with children according to the working plan
- Organizes recreational activities and community events to promote access to education and child’s rights Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Bachelor Degree in Education or other relevant field.
- Prior experience (at least 2 years) working in complex emergency context as Social Worker or Animator
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing PSS and non-formal education activities for children
- Fluency in English
- Good communicator, strong listening capacity, open minded, proactive and creative
- Respectful and inclusive of individual and cultural differences
- Significant experience involving work engaging people in and from community settings
- Knowledge of and adherence to COOPI Code of Conduct
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri)
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context.
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which should include CV’s (max 3 pages), Cover Letter (max 1 page), and minimum three qualified reference contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the e-mail subject: “Application for Psychosocial Animator”.
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.