COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Protection Officer will be accountable for the effective program development, contributing to design evidence-based program and sustainable delivery of case management services, training and capacity building in support of the creation of a protective environment for children.
- The Protection Officer supervises the case workers and the psychosocial team and makes sure that the activities are implemented according to the work plan and Child Protection technical guidelines.
- He/She is responsible for capacity building technical materials; of the overall case management quality control; and of the uniformity of the overall activities across the whole targeted areas.
- He/She is also accountable for the decision-making of critical cases of children at risk, and monitors the CPIMS data-entry activities.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, He/She:
- Makes sure that the activities are implemented according to the project work plan, on-time, on-quality;
- Supervises, supports and leads the Case management team members (Case workers, psychosocial team, Data Clerk);
- Ensures all cases are properly managed, according to the guidelines, the available referral pathway and service mapping;
- Prepares and coordinates trainings for community leaders, social workers and case workers on Case Management and Child Protection in Emergencies;
- Guides the Data entry clerks using the CPMIS on the required global Child Protection Standards;
- Communicates regularly with Case Workers Team Leader for updates on achievements and challenges;
- Directly communicates effectively with other case workers as part of conducting individual case management when needed;
- Collects from the Case Workers Team Leader the reports from all the targeted areas and supervises the overall integrity and uniformity of methods among the different areas of works and teams;
- Compiles and reports to the Project Manager all cases that require referrals, highlighting gaps and recommendations;
- Collaborates with the Project Manager to represent COOPI with the local / State authorities and partners (Child Protection Working Group meetings);
- Ensures that all the documentation for Case management of Unaccompanied and Separated Children is conducted and filed according to the required standards;
- Prepares and forwards to the Project Manager monthly work plans and progress reports for the entire Child Protection project based on set indicators for the 5W matrix and any other required reporting to partners and donors;
- Identifies program gaps and suggests to the Project Manager mitigating actions in periodic reports;
- Collects and documents success stories and photographs for reports;
- Ensures that case file cabins are locked and secures the keys to be accessed with his/her permission;
- Adopts standard operating procedure for the Child Protection and case management system and data management protocols;
- Performs any other necessary action related with the position to achieve the objectives of the project and of COOPI in Nigeria if requested by the Project Manager;
- Upholds COOPI’s mission and Charter of Values;
- Follows and enforces all COOPI codes of conduct and policies (globally and in-country);
- Perform any other action related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the projects and of COOPI Nigeria if requested by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Bachelor degree in Psychology, Social Sciences or any relevant field
- Prior experience (at least 3 years) working in complex emergency context on PSS and Child protection-related programming
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing training materials
- Fluency and excellent writing skills in English
- Extensive knowledge of PSS interventions
- Capacity to work within a multidisciplinary team (case workers and psychosocial team),
- Knowledge and significant experience in training and supervision processes
- Good communicator, strong listening capacity, open minded, proactive and creative
- Respectful and inclusive of individual and cultural differences
- Good analysis and problem-solving capability, and effective reporting writing skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers)
- Knowledge of and adherence to COOPI Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa)
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Kanuri)
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s (max 3 pages), Cover Letter (max 1 page), Minimum three qualified reference contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the e-mail subject: “Application for Protection Officer”.
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.