We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Nutrition and Hygiene Promoter
- COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014 to carry out a rapid evaluation of the most relevant constraints suffered by the Internally Displaced People (IDPs) displaced by the food crisis and the Boko Haram insurgency in the Lake Chad Basin.
- COOPI’s aim is to support the most basic and pressing needs of communities affected by the violence. Despite the challenges presented by the security situation and the remoteness of the area, COOPI is providing a multi-sectoral emergency response to the victims of Boko Haram focused on food security, nutrition, protection and education.
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Nutrition and Hygiene Promoter will be responsible for planning and implementation of nutrition and hygiene education activities in COOPI’s food security and nutrition operation area in Borno state focusing on IDPs and vulnerable host communities.
- They will ensure comprehensive mobilisation of the community for nutrition screening of children under five, forming and monitoring care support groups, IYCF training.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Officer, he/she:
- Perform screening of the nutritional status of children under five in their designated locations and refer SAM cases to health/CMAM centres
- Coordinate and collaborate with community mobilisers’ team leaders and lead mothers of care groups in implementing follow-up of referred SAM cases
- Follow up with the new admission of malnourished children
- Ensure liaison with existing community structures, (groups and individuals, women groups, religious leaders where possible.
- Collect and track weekly data at community level, including the results of MUAC screening during house-to-house visits, in accordance with COOPI standard nutrition statistical reporting forms
- Submit weekly nutrition and health report to the Nutrition Officer for onward sharing with the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Carry out the day-to-day Hygiene Promotion activities
- Provide training on nutrition (IYCF) and hygiene practices
- Distribution of hygiene items
- Follow referrals of all severely malnourished children to the stabilization center
- Keep defaulter tracing for malnourished children
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition Officer
- Participate in the field work of the nutrition survey (impact assessment)
- Conducting cooking demonstrations
Education, Training, Competences, Skills
- A Diploma in Education, Agriculture or other related field
- Prior experience (at least 2 years) working in complex emergency context as Nutrition and Hygiene Promoter
- Fluency in English
- Good communicator, strong listening capacity, open minded, proactive and creative
- Respectful and inclusive of individual and cultural differences
- Significant experience involving work engaging people in and from community settings
- Knowledge of and adherence to COOPI Code of Conduct
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa and Kanuri)
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which should include CV’s (max 3 pages), Cover Letter (max 1 page), and minimum three qualified reference contacts to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the e-mail subject: “Application for Nutrition and Hygiene Promoter”.
- Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.