Adam Smith International are an award-winning professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments. Adam Smith International has a strong corporate presence globally, with 146 current projects across 49 countries and over 1,000 staff and associates. Headquartered in London, our regional headquarters are based in Africa (Nairobi, Abuja, and Pretoria), Asia Pacific (Sydney) and South Asia (Delhi), with numerous registered offices across Africa and Asia.
We are currently recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Vacancy Position: Curriculum Development Specialist
Tracking Code: 943-112
Job Location: Kano
Reporting to: TVET Interventions Manager
Department: Private Sector Development
- Mafita is a 6-year DFID-funded programme working in Nigeria’s northern states, with a vision to empower marginalised youths and women through the provision of increased economic opportunities and social inclusion.
Northern Nigeria has high-youth unemployment, insecurity and limited economic opportunities. Mafita aims to facilitate 68,000 marginalised young people – with a particular emphasis on adolescent girls and Almajirai – to find gainful employment. By 2021, the programme will create a net total of 43,300 full-time equivalent jobs and assisted 23,500 micro and small enterprises (MSEs). The programme will tackle the supply and demand side of the labour market, focussing on the delivery of skills essential for employment, as well as the absorptive capacity of the labour market.
Mafita partners with public and private stakeholders to improve access to relevant and quality training, mentorship, work experience, business development, and financial services for marginalised youths and women. The programme will also support local market systems to enable the absorption of MAFITA’s target beneficiaries into sustainable income-generating activities
- The Curriculum Development Specialist is responsible for coordinating the design, development and validation of relevant occupational standards, learning materials and workplace guidelines based on competency based training (CBT) approach to ensure quality and relevant technical and vocational skills development for MAFITA beneficiaries.
- This is a part-time (50%) position, commencing on the 1st of November 2017 with anticipated 77 days of input until 30th of April 2018.
- The candidate will be based in the Kano office with some travel in and around focal states of Kano, Kaduna, Katsina and Jigawa.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the Curriculum Development Specialist will include development of:
- Occupational Standards at level 1 & 2 in selected trades developed and validated on schedule, in the correct format and required quality for submission to NBTE
- Learning materials at level 1 & 2 in selected trades developed and validated on schedule, in the correct format and required quality for submission to NBTE
- Workplace guidelines at levels 1 & 2 in selected trades developed and validated on schedule, in correct format and required quality.
- Occupational standards, learning materials and workplace guidelines adopted for training in MAFITA skills development systems
- Detailed qualifications level descriptors for levels 1 & 2 of the NVQF implemented in MAFITA skills development systems.
- Timetables for development and adoption of standards, learning materials and workplace guidelines achieved.
- Trades/programmes accredited for training delivery in MAFITA skills development systems
- Workplan for successful implementation of all the above
He or she will also perform but not be limited to the following activities:
- Review and comment on occupational standards, learning materials and workplace guidelines already developed.
- Develop a detailed work plan to achieve consultancy objective based on the approved MAFITA 2017/18 work plan.
- Facilitate the development and validation of occupational standards, learning materials and workplace guidelines for selected trades at levels 1 & 2 of the NVQF.
- Facilitate the development of schemes of work to support quality and relevant training delivery in MAFITA skills development system.
- Facilitate the effectiveness and internalisation of curriculum in COSDECs and apprenticeship
- Facilitate the accreditation of trades/programmes with NBTE.
- Support other intervention units in the successful implementation of the new and existing curriculums.
- Additionally, for the already developed curriculums, the consultant will:
- Analyze student test data
- Review and recommend textbooks and other educational materials
- Observe work of teaching staff to evaluate performance, and to recommend changes that could strengthen teaching skills
- Recommend teaching techniques and the use of different or new technologies
- Develop procedures for teachers to implement curriculum
- Train teachers and other instructional staff in new content or programs
- Mentor or coach teachers to improve their skills
- Alongside exceptional technical competencies, the candidate should bring a commitment to the programme’s overall aims of providing sustainable livelihood opportunities to marginalized young people across our core states of operation.
- The preferred candidate will bring a strong work ethic to a lively and dedicated team of professionals.
He or She should possess:
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree and teaching certification, preferably associated with Special Education
- Preferred: Master’s degree in Education Administration or in Curriculum & Instruction
- Demonstrated experience in adult education instruction
- Demonstrated progressive experience in marginalized youths
- Strong research and analysis skills using various methods including databases, internet, survey/evaluation, tools, library and university reference materials
- Demonstrated experience in developing curriculum and public education and relations materials
- Experience in designing curriculum using online learning management systems
The preferred level of experience for this role is:
- Minimum: Five years, including a minimum of three years in program/curriculum development; at least two years’ experience managing or supervising others
- Preferred: 7-10+ years of teaching experience, preferably as a Master teacher
- 3-5 years of experience training, mentoring and coaching teachers
He or she should also possess the following skills:
- Analytical skills to examine student test data and make recommendations for improvement in curriculum and teaching
- Good interpersonal skills, communication, and public relations to establish effective working relationships with teachers and school administrators
- Creativity – able to think of new ways to engage students
- Leadership skills to coach teachers on effective instructional strategies
- Knowledge of current techniques and procedures used in the design and development of curriculum
- Good computer (Microsoft office) and presentation skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written; research, develop, present, and promote projects; work independently; prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to evaluate instructional programs and teaching effectiveness
- Ability to manage budget and personnel
- Ability to implement policy and procedures
- Ability to interpret data
- Considerable knowledge of current literature, trends, and developments in the field
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of supervision, organization and administration
- Ability to develop long term goals and objectives
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of programs and make recommendations for improvements
- Ability to supervise the planning, development and establishment of new, modified and/or improved programs
- Ability to mentor and train new teachers, ability to hold high standards while also offering support and maintaining positive relationships
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online